1% For The Planet – Give Back To Blue
Buglife - The Invertebrate Conservation Trust
World Music Network joined the 1% for the planet initiative last year, and has continued to donate to various non-profit organisations that seek to protect the world's natural environment. We are one of over 1,200 companies who have pledged to donate 1% of our annual turnover in order to offset the more negative externalities of operations on the environment. Bug Life is one of the most recent non-profit organisations that have received our support.
"Many (though not all) bugs are small and difficult to spot. One of the problems facing conservationists is a lack of knowledge about exactly where certain kinds of bugs are and how they are doing. After all, there are 40,000 species of bug and only a few hundred experts who study them. But what we do know is worrying. Many species are declining in number, and a number of species are definitely, or feared to be, extinct."
Buglife is the only organisation in Europe devoted to the conservation of all invertebrates. There are more than 40,000 invertebrate species in the UK, and many of these are under threat as never before. Invertebrates are vitally important to a healthy planet – humans and other life forms could not survive without them. The food we eat, the fish we catch, the birds we see, the flowers we smell and the hum of life we hear, simply would not exist without bugs. Invertebrates underpin life on earth and without them the world’s ecosystems would collapse. Today, thousands of invertebrate species are declining and many are heading towards extinction. Buglife’s aim is to halt the extinction of invertebrate species and to achieve sustainable populations of invertebrates.
They are working hard to achieve this through:
- Promoting the environmental importance of invertebrates and raising awareness about the challenges to their survival.
- Assisting in the development of legislation and policy that will ensure the conservation of invertebrates.
- Developing and disseminating knowledge about how to conserve invertebrates.
- Encouraging and supporting invertebrate conservation initiatives by other organisations in the UK, Europe and worldwide.
- Undertaking practical conservation projects that will contribute to achieving their aim.
1% For The Planet Headlines
Free MP3 Download
Download a FREE TRACK by Los Destellos, taken from The Rough Guide To Latin Psychedelia. Simply enter your email address below.
You will be added to the WMN mailing list and can unsubscribe at any time.