Introducing Dimitris Mistakidis (Digital Only)
Rebetika is the original urban underclass music of Greece, which was at its creative zenith from the 1920s to the 1950s. This release, Dimitris' first solo album, is an excellent reminder that guitar, and not just bouzouki and baglamás was always part of the tradition.
Also available as a bonus disc on The Rough Guide To Greek Café
- Listen Buy MP3 Stin Ipoga (6:19)
- Listen Buy MP3 O Seretis (2:45)
- Listen Buy MP3 Vouno Me Vouno (4:52)
- Listen Buy MP3 Mes' Ton Teke Tis Marigos (4:12)
- Listen Buy MP3 Dertilidiko (2:47)
- Listen Buy MP3 Erinaki (3:22)
- Listen Buy MP3 Gkiouzel (2:48)
- Listen Buy MP3 O Bekris (3:25)
- Listen Buy MP3 Efoumername Ena Vradi (3:45)
- Listen Buy MP3 Trouba (3:40)
- Listen Buy MP3 Kontrabatzides (4:46)
- Listen Buy MP3 To Koukli Tis Kokkinias (3:13)
- Listen Buy MP3 To Servikaki (2:53)
- Listen Buy MP3 Teketzis (3:02)
- Listen Buy MP3 To Pedi Tou Dromou (3:11)
- Listen Buy MP3 Partides (2:47)
Introducing Dimitris Mistakidis
This album is a re-issue of Dimitris' excellent first solo album, 16 Rebetika Tragoudhia Paigmena Me Kithara (16 Rebetic Songs Played On Guitar). Rebetika was at its creative zenith from the 1920s to the 1950s. Most of the songs feature on this album, by various composers, date from the 1930s. Mystakidis, originally from Thessaloniki, is a bit younger than the gravelly authentic rebetic vocals would suggest. This album showcases his supreme mastery of the guitar, and his emotive rough and ready vocals. Rebetika is a gritty form born out of urban subculture, song topics cover everything from crime, drink, drugs, and poverty to love and marriage. With his tangled hair and glowing cigarette, Dimitris looks and sounds every part the rebellious Rebetika singer.
For a few tracks Dimitri is joined by Christos Mastelos who contributes his emotive singing voice. At other times he is joined by skilled contemporaries, Thanasis Papakonstandinou and Himerinoi Kolymvites.
Dimitris’ skill as a guitarist is second to none. His virtuosic talent and original sound will astound any guitarist, and single-handedly revives the oft-forgotten role of the guitar in Greece’s folk music tradition.
Recent years have seen a surge of interest in rebetika, a tribute to its involving emotion, and dramatic twists and turns. Introduce yourself to Dimitris Mistakidis, you won’t regret it.
01 Stin Ipoga
02 O Seretis
03 Vouno Me Vouno
04 Mes' Ton Teke Tis Marigos
08 O Bekris
09 Efoumername Ena Vradi
12 To Koukli Tis Kokkinias
13 To Servikaki
15 To Pedi Tou Dromou
All tracks trad, arr Dimitris Mistakidis
All tracks published by Riverboat UK Music (MCPS)