Introducing Ruivão (Digital Only)
If 36-year-old Ruivão sounds like a fully formed sambista already, it’s because of the wealth of experience that this multi-instrumentalist has crammed into his career so far. Whilst working Lapa’s top live music venues nightly, Ruivão’s warm and welcoming tones can be heard voicing over TV and radio commercials for Coca-Cola and Guaraná. Ruivão cites his greatest influences as samba and Afro-Cuban music.
Also available as a bonus disc on The Rough Guide To Samba
- Listen Buy MP3 Criação É Ato Contínuo (3:01)
- Listen Buy MP3 Todas As Cores Num Hino (3:58)
- Listen Buy MP3 O Jogo Termina Aos 90 (3:37)
- Listen Buy MP3 Sou Sambista De Fé (3:32)
- Listen Buy MP3 Pout-Pourrit De Partido Alto: Dia De João/Apelo/Disfarce (4:22)
- Listen Buy MP3 Sambas Da Vida (3:43)
- Listen Buy MP3 Eu Vejo (3:01)
- Listen Buy MP3 Sol Bordado (3:09)
- Listen Buy MP3 Pingo Da Vela (3:50)
- Listen Buy MP3 Rapaz Sagaz (3:56)
- Listen Buy MP3 Não Me Encarregue De Enviar Fax (3:08)
Introducing Ruivão is a great samba album brought to you direct from Brazil, by an artist who has been immersed deep in the scene since the tender age of just 8 years old.
Ruivão’s music is smooth like the best Brazilian lounge, but with a sharp percussive edge reflecting on samba’s constant pulse throughout Brazilian music and culture. Ruivão’s voice is mid-range and flows from silky slow tunes to fast tongue-twisting tempos with ease. Within his music you can also hear the discernable influence of curling Cuban rhythms that bounce along freely.
Samba is the dancing spirit and rhythm of life in Brazil, and Ruivão is one of an important band of contemporary artists connecting their traditions with their experience of modern life.
Ruivão’s prominence in Brazil is well-known and ever growing. In 2009 he was one of a few young artists selected to participate in ‘Samba Train’, Brazil’s televised national Samba day programme.
This exclusive release introduces listeners to the work of a sensational sambista who is hot on the Brazilian scene right now.