The Rough Guide To World Playtime
Nursery rhymes and catchy playtime songs are a joyous part of childhood and a feature of every culture the world over. Take pleasure in this delightful time of life with The Rough Guide To World Playtime.
Includes bonus CD by Mory Kante
- Listen Buy MP3 Maria De Barros: Oh Menel (3:44)
- Listen Buy MP3 Bela Lakatos & The Gypsy Youth Project: Muro Shavo Kiki (My Dear Son Kiki) (2:17)
- Listen Buy MP3 Ukulele Club De Paris: Chigadaging (2:51)
- Listen Buy MP3 Lura: Na Ri Na (3:38)
- Listen Buy MP3 Mariza: Transparante (2:31)
- Listen Buy MP3 Hijas Del Sol: Bilaba Biè Työ (3:58)
- Listen Buy MP3 Mory Kante: Djou (5:34)
- Listen Buy MP3 Peru Negro: Negrito (4:14)
- Listen Buy MP3 Chico César: Soluço (3:11)
- Listen Buy MP3 Takashi Hirayasu And Bob Brozman: Akata Sun Dunchi (4:27)
- Listen Buy MP3 Lorin Sklamberg: Geyt Zikh A Bahelferl (3:18)
- Listen Buy MP3 EA! Feat. Pilar 'La Monica' & J. J. Madrera: El Patio (1:54)
- Listen Buy MP3 Akim El Sikameya: Sa Majeste Lila (4:05)
- Listen Buy MP3 Wafir: Lluvia (4:02)
- Listen Buy MP3 Kiran Ahluwalia: Koka (4:58)
- Listen Buy MP3 Sambasunda Quintet: Jaleuleu Ja (3:52)
- Listen Buy MP3 Aurelio Martinez: Tili Bugudura (4:01)
- Listen Buy MP3 Nafiya (5:07)
- Listen Buy MP3 Djou (5:34)
- Listen Buy MP3 Mama (5:03)
- Listen Buy MP3 Diananko (5:26)
- Listen Buy MP3 Sabou (5:00)
- Listen Buy MP3 Kènkan (5:19)
- Listen Buy MP3 Möko (5:30)
- Listen Buy MP3 Loniya (6:05)
- Listen Buy MP3 Desolé (5:05)
- Listen Buy MP3 Biriya (Rythmes Du Mandingue) (6:54)
From clapping games to rhyming songs to dancing tunes, children all over the world while away their playtime making music. Children’s songs are an important link between generations and pass on language, history and culture. This Rough Guide features a delightful selection of music from diverse corners of the globe.
The Portuguese born singer Lura explores her Cape Verdean roots on the catchy song ‘Na Ri Na’. Her music is tinged with a softly lilting and mellow feel that riffs along at a calm pace. Also of Cape Verdean parentage, Maria de Barros stirs together West African and Portuguese influences with a gentle smattering of soul flavour on ‘Oh Menel’. A further West African angle is heard via the beautiful crisp articulations of the kora that make an appearance on the track, ‘Djou’ by Guinean instrumentalist Mory Kanté.
The leading Brazilian songwriter, Chico César sings ‘Soluço’ an amusing light-hearted song about getting the hiccups – something many children can relate to! Whilst ‘Akata Sun Dunchi’ is a popular Okinawan children’s song about the moon. The version on this album is the result of a fruitful collaboration between Hawaiian guitar aficionado Bob Brozman and Japanese sanshin master Takashi Hirayasu.
Bela Lakatos & The Gypsy Youth Project whirl away on the song ‘Muro Shavo Kiki’. The lyrics are about a father passing on knowledge of traditional Roma folk dances to his children. The Ukulélé Club de Paris offer plucky up-beat textures on ‘Chigadaging’. Akim El Sikameya began to study the violin in his childhood at the age of eight. Now a master of his art and a popular professional musician this track is dedicated to his own children. His daughter even harps into sing along on the sweet chorus of ‘Sa Majeste Lila’. Enjoy this outstanding collection bound to please both adults and children alike.
The bonus disc further features the legendary West African singer and excellent kora player Mory Kanté.