The Rough Guide To Blues Legends: Charley Patton
Also available on Limited Edition 180gsm Vinyl LP
Charley Patton’s distinctive guitar style inspired a whole tradition, the Delta Blues. The man himself was many things; a hell-raiser extraordinaire, bona fide celebrity, a wandering bluesman and a musician like no other. Enjoy a comprehensive collection of his finest works loving re-mastered to perfection on this engaging Rough Guide.
Includes bonus Delta Blues Legacy CD
- Listen Buy MP3 Mississippi Boweavil Blues (3:09)
- Listen Buy MP3 Down The Dirt Road Blues (2:58)
- Listen Buy MP3 Pony Blues (2:59)
- Listen Buy MP3 A Spoonful Blues (3:10)
- Listen Buy MP3 High Water Everywhere (Part 1) (2:58)
- Listen Buy MP3 High Water Everywhere (Part 2) (2:57)
- Listen Buy MP3 34 Blues (2:57)
- Listen Buy MP3 Pea Vine Blues (3:04)
- Listen Buy MP3 Revenue Man Blues (2:42)
- Listen Buy MP3 Poor Me (2:58)
- Listen Buy MP3 High Sheriff Blues (3:11)
- Listen Buy MP3 Frankie & Albert (3:09)
- Listen Buy MP3 Prayer Of Death (Part 1) (3:04)
- Listen Buy MP3 Prayer Of Death (Part 2) (2:49)
- Listen Buy MP3 Shake It And Break It (But Don’t Let It Fall Mama) (3:07)
- Listen Buy MP3 Magnolia Blues (3:02)
- Listen Buy MP3 Circle Round The Moon (2:32)
- Listen Buy MP3 Screamin’ And Hollerin’ The Blues (3:07)
- Listen Buy MP3 Mean Black Moan (3:26)
- Listen Buy MP3 Jesus Is A Dying Bed Maker (2:53)
- Listen Buy MP3 Oh Death (2:51)
- Listen Buy MP3 Heart Like Railroad Steel (2:56)
- Listen Buy MP3 Son House: Walkin’ Blues (2:59)
- Listen Buy MP3 Willie Brown: M&O Blues (3:09)
- Listen Buy MP3 Louise Johnson: All Night Long Blues (3:10)
- Listen Buy MP3 Henry Sims: Be True Be True Blues (3:01)
- Listen Buy MP3 Bertha Lee Patton: Mind Reader Blues (2:54)
- Listen Buy MP3 Howlin’ Wolf: Saddle My Pony (2:34)
- Listen Buy MP3 John Lee Hooker: Hobo Blues (3:01)
- Listen Buy MP3 Muddy Waters: Gypsy Woman (2:34)
- Listen Buy MP3 Brownie Mcghee: Big Legged Woman (2:42)
- Listen Buy MP3 Big Joe Williams: She Left Me A Mule To Ride (2:31)
- Listen Buy MP3 Bukka White: Fixin To Die Blues (2:48)
- Listen Buy MP3 Tommy Johnson: Canned Heat Blues (3:23)
Only the hiss and crackle that bedevilled his original recordings for many years has prevented Charley Patton from receiving the same adulation that surrounds the cult of Robert Johnson. On this meticulously remastered Rough Guide the legend of Charley Patton is reborn.
As an illustrious wandering bluesman, Charley spent his life moving nomadically around the Mississippi Delta and made the odd trip further afield to New Orleans, St Louis, Milwaukee and Chicago. All along the road he could be found singing, strumming, drinking and generally living his life hard and fast. He cut just four recording sessions between 1929 and 1934, the highlights of which were selected for this Rough Guide by the Jazz and Blues expert, Nigel Williamson.
The album opens with ‘Mississippi Boweavil Blues’ whereby a humorous imagined dialogue takes place between a farmer and the Boweavil insect which, much to the farmer’s dislike, feeds on cotton buds and flowers. Another classic song the two-part track, ‘High Water Everywhere’ gives Patton’s vivid account of the Mississippi flood of 1927. Another great, the haunting track ‘Screamin’ And Hollerin’The Blues’ was originally released under the name, ‘The Masked Marvel’ but is true Patton genius.
Many of the tracks including, ‘High Sheriff Blues’, ‘Pea Vine Blues’ and ‘Down The Dirt Road Blues’ tackle issues unique to the experience of early twentieth century Mississippi life, yet there's still a universality about the passions and emotions he conjures that makes this record buzz with emotion.
The bonus album pays homage to Patton's influence and shows how the blues would have sounded very different without his towering example. Enjoy music from the likes of Robert Johnson, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf, all of whom fell under the great Patton’s spell – and who can blame them?