The Rough Guide To Blues Legends: B.B. King Birth Of A Legend
B.B. King is one of the longest-reigning blues monarchs in history. Armed with his favourite Gibson guitar affectionately named, ‘Lucille’ he has developed a truly unique guitar style. Thick left-hand vibrato, intense string bends and understated phrasing are perfectly mixed with his deep, booming voice. Listen to the legend’s early works lovingly re-mastered to perfection on this raw and bluesy Rough Guide.
Includes bonus CD of Original Bluesmen
- Listen Every Day I Have The Blues (2:50)
- Listen Sugar Mama (2:44)
- Listen Three O’Clock Blues (3:01)
- Listen Whole Lotta Love (3:10)
- Listen You’ve Been An Angel (2:39)
- Listen Sweet Sixteen Parts 1 & 2 (6:12)
- Listen Take A Swing With Me (2:33)
- Listen Partin’ Time (3:00)
- Listen Gotta Find My Baby (2:46)
- Listen Why Do Everything Happen To Me (2:51)
- Listen Woke Up This Morning (2:58)
- Listen Days Of Old (2:29)
- Listen Mean Ole Frisco (2:31)
- Listen The Woman I Love (2:53)
- Listen I’ve Got A Right To Love My Baby (3:14)
- Listen Please Love Me (2:48)
- Listen Ten Long Years (2:48)
- Listen You Upset Me Baby (3:02)
- Listen Please Accept My Love (2:33)
- Listen Walkin’ Dr Bill Aka Gotta Find My Baby (3:38)
- Listen Bobby ‘Blue’ Bland: Farther Up The Road (3:00)
- Listen Albert King: Bad Luck Blues (3:13)
- Listen Bukka White: Shake ’Em On Down (3:01)
- Listen Freddie King: Have You Ever Loved A Woman (3:07)
- Listen Sonny Boy Williamson: Shake That Boogie (2:47)
- Listen Lowell Fulson: Reconsider Baby (3:11)
- Listen T-Bone Walker: Call It Stormy Monday (3:02)
- Listen Lonnie Johnson: Tomorrow Night (3:03)
- Listen Elmore James: The Sky Is Crying (2:49)
- Listen Otis Rush: I Can’t Quit You Baby (3:06)
- Listen Pee Wee Crayton: Blues After Hours (2:34)
- Listen Guitar Slim: The Things That I Used To Do (3:00)
This unique Rough Guide spotlights B.B. King’s early years – the debut sounds that gave birth to a legend. Painstakingly remastered, this album presents King’s genius in never before heard quality and is sure to delight blues beginners and long time fanatics the same.
Compiler Nigel Williamson is a renowned blues author, and has crafted a collection that takes listeners deep inside the early B.B. King story. Taking the experience one step further, listeners can also enjoy the excellent bonus album The Rough Guide To Original Bluesmen. This collection features artists all linked to the B.B. King story in some way. Listen out for the gutsy strains of his famous mentor and cousin Bukka White, the swinging sounds of his contemporary Bobby “Blue” Bland, and the hot harmonica of legend Sonny Boy Williamson.
Now in his eighties, B.B. King has been supplying the world with his own unique brand of blues for decades. Gutsy, humorous and prolific, King’s work ethic is summed up by his response when asked in 2005 what kept him playing the blues: ‘I don’t want to go fishing every day ... So what else is there for me to do?’ With this compilation listeners can discover his treasured early style which cemented such an illustrious and infinite career.
The track list includes B.B. King’s classic hits; ‘The Woman I Love’, ‘Ten Long Years’, ‘Every Day I Have The Blues’, ‘Mean Ole Frisco’ and more. Enjoy over an hour’s worth of the King before delving into the bonus disc, and Nigel Williamson’s compelling sleeve notes. Enjoy this original overview of B.B. King’s early years – you won’t regret it.