The Rough Guide To Blues Legends: Howlin' Wolf
What kind of a man gets a nickname like ‘Howlin' Wolf’? Well, a three hundred pound giant with a voice so powerful it sounds as if it could knock down buildings fits the brief! Wolf dominated the post-war Chicago blues scene in every way. Enjoy some of his most ferocious and emotionally intense work on this outstanding Rough Guide, which has been painstakingly re-mastered and restored to world class sound quality.
Featuring bonus CD of Wolf's Inspiration
- Listen Buy MP3 Smokestack Lightning (3:07)
- Listen Buy MP3 Moanin’ At Midnight (2:57)
- Listen Buy MP3 I Asked For Water And She Gave Me Gasoline (2:52)
- Listen Buy MP3 Spoonful (2:47)
- Listen Buy MP3 How Many More Years (2:42)
- Listen Buy MP3 Evil (Is Going On) (2:55)
- Listen Buy MP3 Back Door Man (2:51)
- Listen Buy MP3 My Baby Walked Off (3:01)
- Listen Buy MP3 Riding In The Moonlight (3:05)
- Listen Buy MP3 You Gonna Wreck My Life (2:36)
- Listen Buy MP3 Don’t Mess With My Baby (2:41)
- Listen Buy MP3 The Wolf Is At Your Door (3:00)
- Listen Buy MP3 My Troubles And Me (3:16)
- Listen Buy MP3 Baby How Long (2:54)
- Listen Buy MP3 Crying At Daybreak (3:53)
- Listen Buy MP3 Worried All The Time (3:10)
- Listen Buy MP3 Rockin’ Daddy (3:03)
- Listen Buy MP3 No Place To Go (2:54)
- Listen Buy MP3 Well That’s All Right (2:58)
- Listen Buy MP3 Forty Four (2:52)
- Listen Buy MP3 Saddle My Pony (2:32)
- Listen Buy MP3 Blind Willie Johnson: It’s Nobody’s Fault But Mine (3:11)
- Listen Buy MP3 Billy Boy Arnold: I Wish You Would (2:42)
- Listen Buy MP3 Robert Johnson: Travelling Riverside (2:46)
- Listen Buy MP3 Muddy Waters: I’m Ready (3:02)
- Listen Buy MP3 Big Joe Williams: P Vine Blues (3:11)
- Listen Buy MP3 Robert Nighthawk: Black Angel Blues (3:04)
- Listen Buy MP3 Willie Dixon: 29 Ways (2:10)
- Listen Buy MP3 Sonny Boy Williamson: Little Low Woman Blues (2:49)
- Listen Buy MP3 B. Lenoir: Let’s Roll (2:56)
- Listen Buy MP3 Baby Face Leroy: Rollin’ & Tumblin’ (Part 1) (2:52)
- Listen Buy MP3 Baby Face Leroy: Rollin’ & Tumblin’ (Part 2) (3:16)
- Listen Buy MP3 Little Walter: I Just Keep Lovin’ Her (2:56)
- Listen Buy MP3 Elmore James: Knocking At Your Door (2:37)
This Rough Guide features Howlin’ Wolf’s best and baddest electric blues. The sound quality is premium, and each track has been carefully re-mastered to illuminate Wolf’s growling voice, hollering harmonica and gutsy guitar in never before heard definition.
The main disc traverses the Wolf’s biggest hits from ‘Smokestack Lightning’ to ‘How Many More Years’ and a lot more in between. After excavating the Wolf story, listeners can move on to the exclusive bonus disc, ‘The Rough Guide to Wolf’s Inspiration’. This full-length CD celebrates the original blues masters who inspired him and his contemporaries in the world of Chicago electric blues who were influenced by him. The track list slots Sonny Boy Williamson alongside Muddy Waters, Elmore James, Willie Dixon and more.
Esteemed blues expert Nigel Williamson compiled the collection, and has crafted an original Rough Guide that, unlike other compilation formats, delves deep into the history and wider context of the Wolf story.
The first man ever to record Howlin’ Wolf recalled his captivating style: ‘His eyes would light up and you'd see the veins on his neck, and buddy, there was nothing on his mind but that song. He sang with his damn soul.’ This Rough Guide presents the best sound quality, and is the closest we can now get to hearing how the wild ‘Wolf’ sounded. Time to open up, and hear his blues, after all and as the great man himself suggests, ‘The Wolf Is At Your Door’!